Delaney Hosts Opioid Addiction Workshop in Hagerstown
HAGERSTOWN – Congressman John K. Delaney (MD-6) hosted an Opioid Addiction Workshop Thursday evening at Northern Middle School in Hagerstown. Over 200 Marylanders attended the event, which featured federal, state and local agencies as well as addiction treatment and recovery experts and providers.
The workshop was the 26th constituent services workshop Congressman Delaney has held since 2015 and included a panel discussion and an opportunity for attendees to speak with agency and organization representatives one-on-one.
“Opioid addiction is a crisis that has hit home in every zip code in Maryland and so many families have been hurt. Everyone in the room felt that at our workshop as there was deeply powerful testimony from parents, friends and family and people who work to help others,” said Congressman Delaney. “This workshop was designed to bring federal, state and local resources together in one room, so that attendees can learn more about what’s available to them and how they can help their friends and families. This is a massive problem and complex problem and I think we have to work together at all levels of government. Some initial steps have been taken but we’ve got so much more to do and I support more federal funding into research, treatment and grants to state and local programs. I also believe that Congress should listen to local leaders in communities like Hagerstown and highlight what’s working and take back to Washington feedback on what’s not working as well.”
The workshop featured representatives from:
- Federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Hagerstown Resident Office
- Martinsburg VA Medical Center
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH)
- Washington County Health Department
- Allegany County Health Department
- Western Maryland Health Insurance Connector
- Waystation Inc.
- Meritus Medical Center
- Frederick Memorial Hospital
- Local and regional addiction treatment, recovery and therapy providers
- Local addiction support groups